Okay, I’m cheating. These pics are from awhile ago so ignore their poor quality (I was, and still am, and uber foodography noob). Over the summer, we threw a going-away shindig for my little sister’s friend. She got a good send off and I got to make Japanese food. Win-win.
I referenced multiple recipes and kind winged it for most of the dishes, plus I have a really shoddy memory, so I can only give rough ingredient lists, not full recipes.
Japanese Koala Yummies!!!
Found them while raiding the Japanese store for supplies. Although not an official part of the meal, I pretty much single-handedly inhaled both boxes while cooking.
Sake. I let the girls who had parental permission try a little.
Miso Soup—1st course (courses, super claassay right?)
- Miso Paste
- Green Onion
- Tofu (will replace with a real veggie next time)
- Hondashi Bonito Flakes
- Other than being on the salty side from the miso paste (will look for low-sodium next time), it was really tasty. Oh and notice the total lack of a neato soup spoon…working on it.
Crab Potstickers—2nd course
- Other ingredients that I don’t recall. Cream cheese maybe? Improvise.
- Wrappers (I was low on time so I cheated and bought them rather than make my own)
- Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce), soy sauce, & chili oil for the dipping sauce
Shrimp Sushi—3rd course (Don’t laugh at how ugly they are, my sushi rolling is a work in progress)
- Shrimp mixed with cream cheese, hoisin, and a couple other things I don’t recall
- Carrot & Cucumber slivers
- Nori for wrapping
- Sushi rice seasoned with rice wine vinegar
- kecap manis & chili oil for drizzling on top
- They tasted much better than they looked
Green Tea Ice Cream
- …other stuff that I can’t recall
I had originally planned on making fortune cookies too (which, I know, aren’t Japanese, at all) but ran out of time. I would’ve printed off a bunch of fun fortunes for the girls and the one for the girl who was leaving would’ve said something along the lines of “you’ll be missed.” Too bad, next time.