Sorry ‘bout the long time, no post.
You can offer my boyfriend a 5-star, top-chef, orgasm-in-your-mouth meal (one that somehow has an ice sculpture and live fire worked into it), and he would turn it down for Grice.
(I think we call it “Grice” as a truncation of “Egg Rice.”)
It’s caramelized onions and peppers, topped with eggs sunny side up, set on a bed of rice, hit with a
downpour drizzle of kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) and sriracha, and garnished with green onion (and a sprinkle of childhood nostalgia).
It’s nothing fancy, but it was his go-to meal as a kid. Not guaranteeing it’s gonna hit your spot, but it works for him so I thought I’d share.
Serves 1 Hungry Partner
- 1 cup of cooked rice (we use basmati, but any would do)
- 1/2 medium onion + 1/4 bell or poblano pepper, sliced
- 2 eggs, fried
- Sriracha + Kecap Manis to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1-2 green onions, sliced
- Caramelize* onions and peppers on medium heat (I usually give the onions a minute head start while I cut the peppers)
- Assemble everything in the order above.
- Feed to partner. Sneak a few bites.
*Not an authentic, painstaking caramelizing, just a light browning to bring out the sugars. But caramelizing sounds better.